Thursday 7 June 2012

Parenthood.

I wanted to take a moment to say, I'm a proud dad. My son Hunter, 10, and my daughter Ariana, 8 are amazing kids.

Tonight I watched my son and his little league team win a hard game to get into the championship game. We cheered loud, heckled the umpire, who deserved it, but we weren't mean. The other team had a parent ejected for trying to start some shit with our coach. The guy was a 350 pound bubba with his boots outside his pants and no sleeves. I witnessed sportsmanship on the part of the kids, on both teams, and good parenting from the majority of the people there.

But mostly, I was proud of my son. He made a critical out at short stop, struck out swinging once, and got a hit but was called out at first base. I would have been proud if his team had lost. They played like champs.

When you worry about the next generation, as I often do, look to your parenting. Look to your peers parenting. If we're raising a generation of whining twits, 10 years from now, we're screwed. But most of us are better than that. Most of us are modeling hard work, fairness, and dignity. We're also modeling how to stand up for ourselves, and how to demand justice. If the next generation gets it, we're going to be okay. Pray to the God of your choosing that we get it right, and that our kids get it right. Enough of my rambling. I'll be back this weekend with some good stuff.

That's what I really think. More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that perspective. I feel like I have pretty awesome kids. Mostly because they take after me. Clearly. But, I think it's the a-holes that always seem to get the attention. The ones who make us wonder how they made it to adulthood while praying they kick the bucket before they procreate.

    ReplyDelete